Member Control Panel MenuForums  Member Control Panel MenuFish shops  Member Control Panel MenuArticles  Photo GalleryGallery  Active TopicsActive Topics
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Search The ForumSearch
General
 Home »Forums»Plants»General
Message Icon Topic: moss balls vs crayfish Post Reply Post New Topic
shakeable
Novice
Novice
I have experience of Tropical FishI have experience of Coldwater FishI have experience of Marine Invertebrates

AquaTrax User: no

Last Active: 09 March 2011
Articles: 0
Member Rating: 7

Quote shakeable Replybullet Topic: moss balls vs crayfish
    Posted: 10 December 2009 at 12:08am
hi all!!
i have a blue lobster (crayfish) in my tank, he has been with us for two years now and as lovely and peculiar he is, he has kept us from having any plants at all!, he even manages to cut, break, and destroy plastic ones!
but i have been reading about moss balls, and algae eating fish and shrimp leave the alone, will he do that?? i hope so, cos i already bought them, they will be here tomorrow!
i only paid 2 pound for them so i don´t really care, but if he doesn't kill them, is there anything i should know to keep them??

XX
IP IP Address Logged  Tesekkur Et
Article Requests:
jimthefish
Moderators
Moderators
Plant Forum Moderator

I have experience of Tropical FishI have experience of Pond FishI have experience of Marine FishI have experience of Marine InvertebratesI have experience of PlantsI have experience of Fish Breeding

AquaTrax User: YES

Last Active: 20 January 2014
Articles: 11
Member Rating: 1159

Quote jimthefish Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2009 at 9:53am
Moss balls are actually an algae. To keep the ball shape they need to be moved around. It sounds as though your crayfish will do this! If it does destroy them you could always tie some bits onto stones or wood and let it grow over these. That way you'll still get the O2 and nitrate reduction that this 'plant' supplies.
Jim B Visit my site at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ecoquariums/
Article Requests:
shakeable
Novice
Novice
I have experience of Tropical FishI have experience of Coldwater FishI have experience of Marine Invertebrates

Quote shakeable Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:30am
i can now say that after a week the winner is moss ball!!
the 3 little (much tinier than i thought) balls are doing fine, rolling around the tank, even my 2 clown loaches look to play football with them! lolo
but i have to admit, maybe cos the transport... when i got them they were squashed badly an envelope, sometimes i see little green parts of them floating.... ill give some time to recover, lolol

Article Requests:
shakeable
Novice
Novice

Quote shakeable Replybullet Posted: 13 January 2010 at 6:43pm
right.....    the moss balls are not doing so fine now...
they have lost the ball shape, they are now half a ball each! they don't roll in the tank any more, just sit there in their flat side! and lost their fibers are coming off and clogging the filters!
i have been cleaning them a little every week when i do the water changes, and i roll them into shape a little too, but after a couple of days again they lost the shape.
the light is on 12hours a day now for them, but now algae is growing on the tank.
anyone with experience with moss balls???
do i need to feed them something?
Article Requests:
jimthefish
Moderators
Moderators
Plant Forum Moderator

I have experience of Tropical FishI have experience of Pond FishI have experience of Marine FishI have experience of Marine InvertebratesI have experience of PlantsI have experience of Fish Breeding

Last Active: 20 January 2014
Articles: 11
Member Rating: 1159

Quote jimthefish Replybullet Posted: 13 January 2010 at 8:41pm
Moss balls are algae. If they're breaking up the algae you're seeing could be bits starting to grow elsewhere. I have seen a picture of a tank where this was allowed to happen and it did provide quite a good looking green carpet across the tank floor. 12 hours lighting is probably too much though and may well be contributing to the algae problem. 8-10 hours daily would be my suggestion, perhaps even less if you have lots of light.
Jim B Visit my site at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ecoquariums/
Article Requests:
jennybugs
Admin Group
Admin Group
Spam Buster and Goldfish Geek!

I have experience of Tropical FishI have experience of Coldwater FishI have experience of Marine FishI have experience of Marine InvertebratesI have experience of PlantsI have experience of Fish Breeding

Last Active: 04 April 2014
Articles: 9
Member Rating: 763

Quote jennybugs Replybullet Posted: 14 January 2010 at 1:37pm
To help them keep their shape, you could 'hug' your moss balls weekly...ie roll them around in your hands to keep them rotund.  I do this for mine and they stay lovely and spherical.  I have had the occasional sausage shaped one that refused to conform so I split it in two and then got two smaller ones and did the same to them, rolling them every week.

They soon fluff out somewhat and can look awful when they first arrive almost flattened out.
If they're shedding and flattening out on one side, it could be that your lobster is taking a nibble (or the fish) from one side in particular.  My fancy goldies do this so I end up with lopsided ones, and it's always the big lush ones they attack LOL
Article Requests:
shakeable
Novice
Novice

Quote shakeable Replybullet Posted: 15 January 2010 at 1:28pm
that is what i do to them, i hug them a little like a stress ball in old tank water when i do water changes. maybe sebastian is having a little nibble of them at night.
ill give them a few weeks more and if they dont shape up... ill have to get them out, cos i can put up with the fluff in the filters if they look nice, but for nothing.....

Edited by shakeable - 15 January 2010 at 1:29pm
Article Requests:
manutius
Admin Group
Admin Group
The Boss

I have experience of Tropical FishI have experience of Coldwater FishI have experience of Marine FishI have experience of Marine InvertebratesI have experience of PlantsI have experience of Fish Breeding

View My Setup

Last Active: 12 September 2013
Articles: 9
Member Rating: 482

Quote manutius Replybullet Posted: 15 January 2010 at 8:20pm
love the name of sebastian "under dah sea......."

19000+ posts and hardly any sense made or spellings correct
Article Requests:
shakeable
Novice
Novice

Quote shakeable Replybullet Posted: 16 January 2010 at 9:35am
that is why we called him sebastian, lololol
not fis related now but we also have a rabbit called roger, and a black labrador called learoy! lolol
Article Requests:
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version